Matthew Peak joins Clerksroom as a pupil Barrister in January 2021. He will be working under the supervision of highly experienced Commercial and Corporate Barrister and Commercial Mediator Mr Theo Pangraz.
Matthew has a passion for both yachting and the Law. With over 20 years of experience as a Captain, including captaining Superyachts and overseeing major shipbuilding and renovation projects, as such he has much first-hand experience of the maritime industry.
Utilising this commercial Superyacht experience, Matthew is building a legal and mediation practice specialising in Maritime and Shipping Law. He has an in-depth understanding of the day-to-day running of large commercial yachts and the many maritime regulations involved. He is looking forward to representing yacht owners, captains and crew in Contract Law, Employment Law and other Commercial Litigation issues, providing professional legal representation with a genuine understanding of the particular maritime industry and the law.
Representing yacht owners, captains and crew in Employment Law issues including:
- Constructive or unfair dismissal
- Allegations of bullying or harassment
- Health & Safety concerns
- Discrimination relating to age, disability, gender, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, parental rights
Advising shipping entrepreneurs, high net-worth individuals, superyacht builders, designers and banks in contractual disputes including:
- Shipbuilding contracts
- Refit contracts
- Sale of yachts
- Charter contracts
TORT LAW & OTHER MARITIME COMMERCIAL LITIGATION
Providing advice and representation in cases relating to claims of:
- Professional negligence
- Employers’ liability
- Emotional distress
- Financial losses
- Invasion of privacy and other issues
Also acting in cases relating to salvage rights, collision disputes and other marine-related issues.
Professional qualifications & associations
- Bar Practice Training Course – BPP Law School
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB) – BPP Law School
- Associate Fellow - Nautical Institute
- Member - Honourable Society of Inner Temple
- Member - American Bar Association
- Member - Professional Yachting Association
- Member - Bar Yacht Club
- Qualified Mediator
Outside the office
Outside of his interest in the Law, Matthew has many hobbies and interests, principal amongst these is travel. During his yachting career, he has sailed and explored all over the world including North & South America, Europe, Asia and the Indian Ocean. His next planned adventure is to go trekking in Ethiopia.