Ed Ross is happy to accept instructions as counsel who is:
Experienced in the areas of:
- Professional Negligence
- Technology & Construction inc Adjudication
- Public Access Accredited
- Land & Property
- Business & Commercial Law
Happy to help in the following additional areas:
- Commercial Arbitration & ADR inc Adjudication
Outside of these key areas of law, Ed Ross is always willing to consider any enquiry requiring the experience or knowledge needed to help you or your client. Please call Ed direct or the support team on 01823 247 247 if you would like to discuss any aspect of this profile.
- Mount Wellington Mine Ltd v Renewable Energy Co-Operative Ltd  EWHC 1486 (Ch) – Successful defence of a s.67 Arbitration Act 1996 challenge to jurisdiction in a long-running commercial landlord and tenant dispute. Clarified the law about the transfer of assets on a conversion from a company to a registered society under the Co-Operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014. Previously no case law on this point.
- Flat 4, 257-259 Brownhill Road, London SE6 1AE LON/00AZ/OLR/2020/1232 V:CVP (First Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber), 2021) – Excellent commercial outcome for a tenant in respect of an application for determination of a leasehold renewal premium under the Leasehold Reform, Housing and Urban Development Act 1993.
- Re Sarjanda Ltd; Sarjanda Ltd (in liquidation) v Aluminium Eco Solutions Ltd and another  EWHC 210 (Ch),  All ER (D) 76 (Feb) – Application to rescind a winding up order and for relief from sanctions. Article published by LexisNexis.
- Bardales v Syriopoulos (County Court, 2021) – Fiercely contested CPR r.39.3 application in an underlying tenancy deposit claim. Involved arguments over whether the tenancy had been varied or terminated and re-granted and if so, whether the tenancy deposit legislation applied.
- Copford Limited v Welcome Cars Limited and another (County Court, 2020) – Application for default judgment which resulted in an order for alteration of the property title register. Drafting and representation.
- Basement Flat, 109 Marina, St Leonards on Sea, East Sussex TN38 0BP CHI/21UD/LSC/2020/0059 (First Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber), 2020) – Determination of reasonableness of substantial service charges, including two sets of s.20 Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 major works. Advice following hearing led to recovery of the arrears from the leaseholder’s mortgagee.
Recent Property cases include:
- Successfully defending proceedings in the FTT challenging the reasonableness of two s.20 major works service charges, together with dismissal of a £60,000 claim for set off against service charges.
- Successful proceedings for relief from forfeiture with respect to the lease of roof space for the placement of solar panels. Ed also secured a costs order in the tenant’s favour.
- Advice on the enforceability of, and potential to remove, a restrictive covenant to enable a change of use from commercial to residential.
- Successful application to amend a suspended possession order to impose further terms.
Recent Commercial cases include:
- A complex case in the TCC involving the “upseating” of coaches.
- A case involving in-depth analysis of the British Standards relevant to the manufacture of Insulated Glazing Units.
- A successful ex parte injunction and subsequent substantive proceedings for breach of a non-disclosure agreement and misappropriation of confidential business information.
- A successful ex parte injunction and return hearing to restrain the presentation of a winding up petition for a haulage company.
Carol Crowley Public Access Client
Ed is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. He listened to our concerns and acted on them, keeping us informed as and when required. His professional expertise was invaluable and resulted in a positive and good outcome for us. I would have no hesitation in recommending him. (Adverse Posession and Easements matter)
Rhoda Honey Kitsons LLP
I found Ed very professional and knowledgeable yet personable and easy to deal with. Ed got to the heart of the issue and helped clients to achieve what they wanted most. (Landlord and Tenant trial)
Steen Cooper Lyons Davidson
I think (Ed Ross) did a great job on the particulars and the reply. There were some complicating factors in relation to liability and causation, but Ed was able to cut through it and plead a compelling case. Ed understood the issues and was a pleasure to work with. (Professional Negligence pleadings)
Richard Davies - View LinkedIn Kendall & Davies
We have instructed Ed Ross a number of times over the years, and on various matters including some complex construction matters, various property-related matters and general commercial disputes. I have always found him very thorough, extremely helpful, and good with clients. He is also able to engage meaningfully with the judiciary, which can be a real bonus.