Theo Pangraz is a
- dual qualified Senior Barrister, German Rechtsanwalt and Mediator
- providing specialist Commercial, Corporate and Construction Law related
- advice, drafting, advocacy, litigation, representation, mediation and quasi in-house consultancy services to
- Law Firms, Solicitors, Businesses and Individuals.
With more than 30 years of cross-jurisdictional legal experience, having spent 15 years in-house as General Counsel, Head of Legal and Managing Director of an international company in the global petrochemical industry, Theo has extensive practical experience in the mechanics of business, the reality of commercial negotiations and the need to expertly use the law to identify and minimise risk wherever possible.
On a direct access basis, Theo is engaged by Businesses, Shareholders, Directors, Contractors and Individuals.
“[Theo’s] attention to detail and enthusiasm...is excellent. Each client who has been represented by Theo has had nothing but positive comments to make.”
“Theo is an impressive barrister. His appreciation of English and German law proved invaluable... I have no hesitation in recommending him to others.”
For further details and updates, please see Theo's website www.theopangraz.com
Areas of law
- Commercial Law
- Corporate Law
- Construction Law
- Sale of goods
- Supply of goods and services
- Unfair contract terms
- Consumer credit
- Distributor and agency agreements
- Guarantees and indemnities
- Shareholders' agreements
- Director services agreements
- Directors' disputes
- Mergers and acquisitions (share and asset deals)
- Partnership disputes
- Building contracts
- Construction adjudication
- Insolvency and bankruptcy
- Civil Mediation Council
- German British Chamber of Commerce
- Universities of Saarbrücken, Tuebingen and Exeter
- Middle Temple
- Rechtsanwalt, Hamburg
Theo is married with two daughters. He was Clerk to the Governors of Wellington School and lectured in Commercial Law at the University of Exeter. In his spare time, he likes to go to the gym, swim and walk in the countryside. Theo completed the Brighton Marathon in 2012 for the charity 'Arms Around The Child'.
- Working smarter with your barrister for better results. 1 Hour CPD. Free.
- Witness Statements. 1 Hour CPD. Free.
- Bribery Act. 1 Hour CPD. Free.
- Mediation. 1 Hour CPD. Free.
Areas of Law
Theo Pangraz is happy to accept instructions as counsel who is:
Very experienced in the areas of:
- Technology & Construction inc Adjudication
- Business & Commercial Law
Experienced in the following additional areas:
- Professional Negligence
- Commercial Arbitration & ADR inc Adjudication
- Brexit Law
- International Law
- Public Access Accredited
- Business & Commercial Law
- Credit Hire Specialists
- Road Traffic
- Credit Hire (Defendant Insurance Team)
- Consumer Contracts
Happy to help in the following additional areas:
- Personal Injury
Outside of these key areas of law, Theo Pangraz is always willing to consider any enquiry requiring the experience or knowledge needed to help you or your client. Please call Theo direct or the support team on 01823 247 247 if you would like to discuss any aspect of this profile.
Cases and Publications
Fees and Feedback
Details regarding our approach to fees can be found at the following link: http://www.clerksroom.com/content-html?cid=514
Please see “profile” tab for a description of the legal services provided by this barrister.
We aim to complete and return all paperwork within 14 days (2 weeks) of receipt if no specific deadline is provided. We can work to much faster timescales if requested or we can agree a specific target date for each individual circumstance. We will always advise at the outset if counsel is unable to meet any deadline.
Each barrister has a standard hourly rate for their work. The individual hourly rate can be agreed when instructions are acknowledged if preferred. We welcome early discussion as to the suitability of a specific barrister for a specific case. The right barrister will have the relevant expertise to deal with the case but will not be too junior, or too senior depending on the complexities.
We aim to allocate all cases to the correct level of experience & seniority which we believe will prove most to be the most cost-effective solution for our clients.
If, due to urgency, we allocate paperwork to a more senior member of Clerksroom, we will charge the appropriate hourly rate for the work, not for the barrister. We welcome early discussion to ensure the correct fee is applied to the case at the outset.
All our barristers are regulated by the Bar Standards Board (BSB) and hold a current practising certificate, details can be found at the following link Barristers’ Register
If you are not satisfied with the service provided, you can make a complaint to Chambers. Information on the chambers’ complaints procedure is available at the following link: http://www.clerksroom.com/content-html?cid=416
If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from my chambers, you can make a complaint to the Legal Ombudsman. You must contact the Legal Ombudsman either within 6 months following the conclusion of our handling your complaint, within 6 years from the date of the act/omission, or 3 years from the date that you should reasonably have known there were grounds for complaint (if the act/omission took place before the 6 October 2010 or was more than six years ago).
The Legal Ombudsman’s details are as follows:
PO Box 6806
Tel: 0300 555 0333
1. This is a privacy notice that describes how, why and for how long I will process or keep your personal data in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (‘GDPR’).
2. The GDPR governs how an individual’s personal data is used, and your rights in relation to that data.
3. I, Theo Pangraz, have been instructed by you or your litigation friend (usually a parent), through your solicitor or agent, or via the Bar Pro Bono Unit.
4. It is necessary for me to process your personal data in order for me to provide you with legal services, for example:
· Advise on the prospects of litigation;
· Advise on the value of your claim;
· Representation at a court hearing;
· Representation at trial;
· Advise, review or comment on legal issues or evidence.
5. Processing means anything done to data such as: recording, organising, adapting, altering, copying, consulting, transmitting, combining, erasing or storing it.
6. The processing for the purposes listed above will take place in accordance with either Article 6(1)(a) GDPR or Article 6(1)(b) GDPR, depending on how you instructed me.
7. If you have instructed me on a direct access basis, or engaged a solicitor (or legal agent), to assist you in bringing or defending a claim then the processing is necessary to perform a contract to which you are a party (Article 6(1)(b) GDPR). To give effect to that contract (i.e. to bring a claim) it is necessary for me to process your personal data for litigation purposes.
8. If I am assisting you on a pro bono basis, it will be necessary for me to seek your consent to be able to represent you (Article 6(1)(a) GDPR). In this scenario, you will be sent a consent form.
Recipients of your data
9. I may also be required to share your data with others, depending on the nature of your case. This may include:
(i) Courts and other tribunals to whom documents are presented;
(ii) Your solicitors, or agent representing you, through whom I have been instructed;
(iii) Potential witnesses, experts and other persons involved in the case;
(iv) Solicitors, barristers, or other legal representatives;
(v) Ombudsman and regulatory authorities;
(vi) Education and examining bodies; and
(vii) Current, past or prospective employers.
Special Categories of Data
10. In some cases I will have been given your personal data that is within the ‘special categories’ of data described in GDPR Article 9(1). For example, personal data that reveals your race, ethnicity, sexual preferences, political or religious beliefs, trade union membership or health. There are also restrictions for processing information regarding criminal convictions.
11. This type of personal data will only be processed where it is necessary in order to represent you in your legal claim, or advise on the prospects of a legal claim.
12. I will retain your personal data for no longer than is necessary, and where it is possible, I will anonymise your data.
13. How long your personal data is kept will depend on a number of factors. The retention period will be reviewed when the service I am providing you with is complete. However in general, I am obliged by the Bar Code of Conduct to retain records of my cases, and by HM Revenue and Customs to retain records for 6 years.
14. Once your case has concluded and fees have been paid, I shall retain only the personal data necessary for the following purposes:
(i) The legal and professional obligation to retain information relating to my cases;
(ii) To check for any potential conflict of interests that may arise in the future when I am instructed on other cases;
(iii) For use in the defence of potential complaints, legal proceedings or fee disputes;
(iv) To refer back to in future cases which raise similar legal, factual, or procedural issues.
15. The processing for the purposes listed in paragraph 14 (ii), (iii), and (iv) above, will take place in accordance with Article 6(1)(f) GDPR. That is, for the purposes of legitimate interests that are not outweighed by your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms.
16. The processing for the purposes listed in paragraph 14(i) above, will take place in accordance with Article 6(1)(c) GDPR. That is, the processing is necessary for me to comply with a legal obligation.
17. Where processing of your personal data was based on your consent (see paragraphs 6 and 8) you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. This does not affect the lawfulness of the processing based on consent before its withdrawal.
18. Withdrawal of your consent to process such data will most likely mean that I am no longer able to provide you with the legal services you seek.
19. You may request confirmation that your personal data is being processed by me and details about the personal data, the source, the processing, the purposes of the processing, the recipients and the retention period.
20. You may request a copy of your personal data that is being processed by me. You may also request rectification (i.e. correction) where there are inaccuracies in the personal data.
21. You have the right to object, on grounds relating to your particular situation, at any time, to processing of your personal data in paragraph 14 of this privacy notice. Should you object, the processing will only continue where there are compelling legitimate grounds for the processing which override your fundamental rights, freedoms and interests.
22. Where the processing or retention of your data is necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims, it will not be possible to object.
23. You have the right to request that your personal data is erased where any of the following apply:
(i) The personal data are no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which they were collected or otherwise processed;
(ii) You withdraw your consent where the basis of processing was based on consent and where there is no other ground for the processing;
(iii) Where your fundamental rights, freedoms and interests override the legitimate interests of processing in paragraph 14;
(iv) The personal data has been unlawfully processed; or
(v) The personal data have to be erased to comply with a legal obligation.
24. You have the right to request that your personal data is restricted from processing, so that it is simply stored, for the following reasons: as an alternative to deletion; so that it can be corrected; for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims; to verify if a legitimate ground exists (paragraph 14).
25. Where it is necessary to correct your personal data, or you have requested the restriction or erasure of your personal data, I shall endeavour to contact the recipients of the personal data, unless this involves disproportionate effort.
26. I take appropriate physical and technical procedures to safeguard your personal data to prevent it from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way. The I.T. systems used by Clerksroom are ISO27001 compliant.
Complaints or Queries
27. If you have any questions regarding this privacy notice, or how I use your personal data please email me: email@example.com, or my clerks: mail@clerksroom telephone 01823 247 247.
28. I shall aim to respond as soon as possible, and within 30 days.
29. You have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) if you believe I have not handled your request in an appropriate manner. For information on contacting the ICO please go to: https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/
Mitesh Patel Drake & Case
Thank you for nominating Theo to assist with this claim. My client and I were impressed and pleased with counsels attention to detail and patience in conference. Counsels note was also very useful too.
Claire-Louise Southway, Consultant Setfords Solicitors
Theo (Pangraz) recently acted on my client's behalf at a set aside judgment hearing on 19 June. He achieved an excellent result.
Billy Elvin & Ian Gammon (lay clients) Homefix Express (a firm)
We were really pleased with the outcome for everyone last Thursday...Theo [Pangraz] was brilliant, has a great manner, immediately we knew we were in good hands. After the initial chat we had such faith in him that we would have gone with whatever he advised. We don't know if he was just real confident with the case or his facial expression never changes. (Not the sort of guy to play cards with)...A Very Big Thank You from Billy & Ian.
Gareth Jones Jeffrey Green Russell
Theo [Pangraz] is an impressive barrister. His appreciation of English and German law proved invaluable on a recent case that we worked together on. I would have no hesitation working with Theo again or recommending him to others.
Nicola Firn Minster Law
Brilliant result, [Theo Pangraz] many thanks.
Peter Smith E.On Energy Solutions Legal Team Credit Operations
Thank you [Theo Pangraz] for doing an excellent job. We achieved an excellent result and I was again impressed with your calm and assured manner in court. Thanks again.
Kris Minks The Keith Jones Partnership
I have instructed Theo Pangraz on a number of occasions and every time his preparation has been extremely thorough. His attention to detail and enthusiasm to the matter in hand is excellent. Each client who has been represented by Theo has had nothing but positive comments to make. I certainly have no hesitations in recommending Theo.
Ronnie Ilan SURJJ Legal
It was a pleasure to work with you all last week. Thank you [Theo Pangraz] for all your time and effort. Our respective clients' case could not have been presented in any better way.
Public Access Client Commercial Claim
Thank you SO much ! At last, a judge with some sense - I feel as though all my Christmasses have come at once. I'm so grateful to you [Theo Pangraz]...for having the tenacity I needed... Happy Days!