Balahl Khan is happy to accept instructions as counsel who is:
Very experienced in the areas of:
- Land & Property
- Family Law
- Sharia Law
Experienced in the following additional areas:
- Public Access Accredited
- Land & Property
- Business & Commercial Law
- Criminal Law
- Consumer Contracts
Training in this area in the following additional areas:
- Land & Property
Outside of these key areas of law, Balahl Khan is always willing to consider any enquiry requiring the experience or knowledge needed to help you or your client. Please call Balahl direct or the support team on 01823 247 247 if you would like to discuss any aspect of this profile.
Landlord & Tenant
- DM v. BA (2021), Romford County Court - Balahl appeared for a Tenant in injunction proceedings who had been unlawfully evicted and subject to serious assault in the process. Relying on the American Cyanamid principles, Balahl successfully persuaded the Court that the eviction and the wider context was indicative of a serious case that needed to be tried and on that basis, the Court awarded an injunction permitting his client re-entry into the property.
- SG v. HA (2021), Willesden County Court - Balahl represented a Landlord Claimant in possession proceedings against a tenant who hadn't paid rent for a number of years. Balahl was successfully able to persuade the Court to consider, inter alia, the Defendant tenant's conduct. Not only did the Court accept these submissions, Balahl was able to persuade the Court to award his client with a higher level of costs under the conditions of Chaplair Ltd v. Kumari  EWCA Civ 798.
- IU v. WC (2021), High Court (QBD) - Balahl represented a vulnerable tenant before The Honourable Mr Justice Jacobs in applying for a stay of execution on an eviction scheduled to take place in a matter of hours. Balahl was able to convince the Court that as his client and his young family were suffering from Covid-19, these were exceptional circumstances to stay the eviction. The Court accepted these submissions and awarded the stay against the eviction, with the Court remarking that Balahl had made "very helpful submissions."
- RH v. CM (2021), Central London County Court - Balahl represented a Landlord Claimant in an application made by the Defendant tenant for permission to appeal an Order for Possession and an application for a stay of execution before a Senior Circuit Judge. In using his detailed knowledge of the CPR, Balahl was able to convince the Court that, pursuant to CPR 52.6, there was no real prospect of success for the tenant's proposed appeal and that a possible counterclaim for disrepair was unfounded, and in any event, did not comply with CPR 20.4. Balahl's submissions persuaded the Court to dismiss both applications to the delight of his client.
- WHA v. KO (2021), Wandsworth County Court - Balahl represented a Defendant Tenant in an application for possession by a Claimant Social Housing provider. In relying on McDonald v. Fernandez  EWCA Civ 1219, Balahl was able to persuade the Court that as the dates contained within the notice seeking possession were incorrect, this would render the entire notice defective. The application therefore against his client was dismissed and Balahl successfully persuaded the Court to award his client with costs.
- PJ v. YS (2021), Reading Family Court - Balahl acted for a father who had been unlawfully deprived of seeing his child despite there being a Court Order granting him shared care. In persuading the Court that there was no lawful reason for preventing such contact, the Court Ordered that the mother should undertake unpaid work for her actions, in addition to finding that she had been in contempt of Court.
- GR v. JR (2021), Romford Family Court - Balahl acted for a Respondent father in defending an application for Enforcement of Child Arrangements. In what the Court described as very detailed and comprehensive submissions, and in relying on Re D (A Child)  EWCA Civ 1057, Balahl successfully managed to have the proceedings concerning the two older children dismissed due to the mother's longstanding absence in their lives.
- MA v. PL (2021), Telford Family Court - Balahl acted for a mother in Child Arrangements proceedings against her former partner. Balahl was able to successfully persuade the Court against the Applicant's position of establishing ties between the children and their paternal family based on controlling and abusive behaviour.
- AT v. JM (2021), Norwich Family Court - Balahl acted for a Respondent father in Child Arrangements Proceedings against his former partner. Balahl was able to successfully persuade the Court that the report of a Social Worker was inherently biased against his client, leading to the Court dismissing such evidence and permitting an independent Social Worker under Part 25, which meant his client's child would continue to live with him.
- MC v. CC (2022), Croydon Family Court - Balahl acted for the Applicant father in a highly contested case concerning allegations of serious abuse (physical and sexual) made against the father and the wider paternal family. Balahl was robust, meticulous, and forensic at the Finding of Fact Hearing and brought out the numerous inconsistencies in the mother's account, resulting in every allegation of abuse against his client being found not to have taken place. The Court also found, due to Balahl's intense questioning, that the Respondent mother and her key witness were not credible witnesses.
- WR v. EC (2022), Central London County Court - Balahl represented a vulnerable client in a matter pertaining to homelessness and the Local Authority's inability to consider her priority situation for housing. Through his very detailed Skeleton Argument, the Respondent Local Authority decided to make an out-of-Court settlement before the Appeal hearing, thereby restoring the Appellant tenant's right to public housing.
- BR v. NS (2022), Edmonton County Court - Balahl acted for the wife of a property owner who, along with her young children, was forcibly evicted from the family home owing to a Charging Order and Order of Sale placed on the home some weeks previously. Relying on CPR 73.7, Balahl successfully persuaded the Court that the Order for Sale, and by association, the eviction of the family from the family home, was deficient and as such, was oppressive. Following Balahl's submissions, the Court ordered the immediate re-entry of the family in addition to their legal costs, the Court remarking that 'Mr. Khan's submissions were simply unanswerable [by the other side]'.
Mr Masterson Public Access Client
Balahl Khan represented me in what was listed as a final hearing of a child arrangement order for keeping custody of my daughter. Although it being last minute, not even a weeks’ notice, I emailed over all the information I had about my case to him and he made sure he had thoroughly studied my case. He had clearly spent a lot of time preparing as this was shown when he represented me and got me the exact outcome I wanted. I have been very impressed with Mr Khan’s professionalism and communication and the continued support he has shown me as well, I would highly recommend him anyone who is needing a barrister. I am extremely happy with the outcome that I do not think I would have gotten without Mr Khan.
Mr Thompson Public Access Client
Barrister Balahl - is an extraordinary legal luminary with excellent communications skills including the ability to express arguments and ideas clearly. His determination, stamina, self-motivation, self-discipline and hardwork are phenomenal. His analytical mind and logical approach delivers positive results and or outcome.
Mr. Ebirilem SA Law Ltd
Our client… whom you [Balahl] represented at a 2 day fact finding hearing in in his child arrangement matter was happy with the way you conducted the matter… As the instructing solicitor, I was happy with your attention to details and the way you were able read the bundle to understand the case at a short notice and confer. We hope to continue using your services in the future. I have also discussed your work ethic with my colleagues who have indicated interest in using your services.