Judi Kemish was a solicitor for 20 years before transferring to the Bar in 2015. She regularly advocates in the Court of Appeal, High Court, Crown Court, County Court and H.M. Coroner’s Court.
She has been complimented for her detailed preparation, advocacy skills and legal expertise by many clients over her 20 years or more, as a lawyer and an advocate.
She is particularly known for her ability to tackle 'difficult' cases and has a unique insight into civil, criminal, public and regulatory law due to her experience advocating in the civil and criminal courts.
Specialist Areas of Expertise Includes:
- Property & Possession
- L&T Residential & Commercial
- Public & Administrative Law
Additional experience in the areas of:
- Business & Commercial Law, inc debt & money claims
- Personal Injury
- Road Traffic Claims (PI and Non-PI)
Public Inquests and Inquiries
Judi is one of the most experienced practitioners at the Bar in this field. She represents the full range of Core Participants at Coroner’s inquests including bereaved families, Non-Governmental organisations, Government Departments, Health professionals and the Police. In addition, she has advised Government departments and Coroners in relation to investigations.
She has advised and acted in a number of high-profile judicial review proceedings relating to inquests and inquiries, such as Re Officer L and R on the application of Pamela Duggan v HM Assistant Coroner.
Inquests and inquiries that Judi has been involved in include:
- Representing the 10 families of victims in the Birmingham Pub Bombings Inquests
- Deepcut Inquest
- Al-Sweady Inquiry
- Solicitor to the Mark Duggan Inquest (Tottenham riots)
- Bloody Sunday Inquiry
- Solicitor to Robert Hamill Inquiry and the Azelle Rodney public Inquiries
Public Law and Judicial Review
Judi is a highly experienced public lawyer, bringing and defending challenges to public bodies. She has represented individual clients in judicial review proceedings in the High Court (QBD), including a successful application for a writ for habeas corpus.
Property Law and Enforcement
Judi’s property practice includes possession and injunctive proceedings, private nuisance and anti-social behaviour prosecutions, trespass, disrepair, tenancy disputes and enforcement of judgments. Judi is instructed by local authorities, landlords and tenants at Courts at all levels and is experienced in international property work including enforcement of foreign money judgments.
Private Criminal and Regulatory law
Judi represents private law clients in criminal litigation, ranging from white collar fraud, money laundering, confiscation proceedings, dangerous dogs and noise nuisance prosecutions.
Immigration and Extradition Law
Judi represents the Government at First Tier Immigration Appeals. She is an experienced extradition practitioner, representing Requested Persons at first instance and in the High Court at appeals against extradition Orders.
I have extensive experience in the Court of Appeal, High Court, Crown Court, County Court and H.M. Coroner’s Court. My areas of specialism include:
- Public Inquests and Inquiries – specialist in unlawful killing cases, use of sensitive materials and Coronial Law
- Public Law and Judicial Review - bringing and defending challenges to public bodies
- Property Law and Enforcement – landlord and tenant and international property
- Criminal and Regulatory law - representing private law clients (not legal aid)
- Immigration and Extradition Law - First Tier Immigration Appeals and Extradition High Court Appeals