Joseph Giret Q.C.
Membership Status: Barrister - Associate Member
I have been described in Court as an “Iron fist in a velvet glove”.
Legal 500 says “he puts people at ease exceptionally easily”.
With 35 years of experience building my skills, I put my clients’ best interests front and centre.
I am a problem solver and deliver sensible and appropriate solutions whilst being “one of the most approachable and friendly QC’s we have had the pleasure to instruct”.
- “Exemplary technical and analytical skills”
- “Excellent choice of barrister for sensitive complex commercial litigation”
- “His skills in presenting the case were sublime… assertive, succinct and shrewd”
- Business and Commercial / Chancery Commercial / Company and Partnership disputes
- Professional Discipline, Regulatory tribunal / litigation
- Intellectual Property
- Professional Negligence and Alleged Commercial Fraud
My practise is a blend of Advisory, Drafting and Court appearances through litigation.
Notable recent cases in brief [names given only by initial for privacy and confidentiality]
- FCA -v- R.M. Advising and acting for client charged with contravention of financial regulations in an action brought by FCA on behalf of shareholders. £5M claim.
- HM -v- OL. Shareholders dispute and breaches of Directors duties arising from a residents’ management company and association.
- W.I + S.I -v- TW. $20M claim for repayment of investment sums obtained by fraud, in respect of a high net worth building project in Brazil that failed. Linked Claims filed in USA.
- P Ltd and S.T + B.M. Claim against former employee, and Iraqi national for restoration of monies taken as part of a sophisticated fraud on Iraqi employer; monies hidden in 40 separate accounts including a number in Iraq.
- N.M -v- Crystal Palace FC. Claim by former Education supplier to young and aspiring academy players for breach of employment contract.
- D.H + N.H -v- S+HB+P Ltd. Family business / shareholders dispute over entitlements and construction of shareholders agreements.
- Acted on behalf of the Bermuda Royal Gaming Commission against former whistleblower employee; Injunction obtained to be served out of the jurisdiction [USA]; object to prevent further disclosures in contravention of employment contract; high level Governmental concerns about highly confidential information being made public and wrecking a scheme to bring Casinos to Bermuda.
- Acted for a party in group litigation brought by car purchasers against the Volkswagen Company for misrepresentation and breaches of emissions regulations, known as “emissions cheating”.