- All pupillages are advertised in the pupillage gateway in accordance with the rules surrounding pupillage advertising and recruitment. See: www.pupillagegateway.com
- We assess each application on an individual basis.
- We welcome applications from pupils who have obtained waivers from the BSB and are current.
- We welcome applications from any background and actively encourage you to tell us about your background, career history and any other circumstances you feel are important to fully understand you.
1st Six Pupillage & 2nd Six Pupillage
- We have no set number of pupillages available as Clerksroom is a unique, nationwide chamber where all our members work from home allowing us to provide advice and advocacy at all courts and tribunals in England & Wales.
- We prioritise applications where the BSB has assessed your situation and granted a waiver for a period of your 1st or 2nd six pupillage. BSB can grant waivers of 3, 6, 9 or 12 months. It is very unusual to obtain more than 3+3 waiver. Contact BSB authorisations team for more information using firstname.lastname@example.org
Selection & scoring criteria includes areas such as:
- Current BSB waiver in place and length of the waiver
- Suitability for practice
- Relevant knowledge and experience (particular weight on current relevant experience)
- Communication skills
- Self-marketing skills
- Demonstrable drive and determination to succeed at the bar.
- Reasons for wishing to work with Clerksroom Barristers Chambers
Provisional Tenancy - Historically called 3rd Six Pupillage
The Bar Standards Board does not recognise the term "third six pupillage" as pupillage is regulated by the AETO rules and tenancy is regulated by the code and handbook. The term 3rd six Pupil, pupillage or Third Six Pupillage are no longer the correct term.
- A pupillage is the time training up to the point you reach the standard and apply for a full practising certificate.
- Once you have obtained a full practising certificate you can apply for tenancy. At Clerksroom we call it "full membership". See full membership section of our website.
Have you successfully completed your pupillage and are now looking for a tenancy? Come and talk to us at Clerksroom as we have something quite special to offer.
We don't do politics, chambers constitutions or committees, we simply want to work with great people who share our desire to get on and build a great practice at the Bar.
Before you get in touch with us, we ask you to think about a few things.
- how do you see your practice developing?
- how will you market yourself?
- what can you bring to our organisation right now?
- how will the way you want to in work fit with how we work?
- practising from home does not suit everyone. Will it be right for you?
- your geographical location and how far you are prepared to travel.
- consider every aspect of your practice and only then begin to put your business plan together.
- think about what your practice will look like in 12, 24 and 5 years from now and think about what you need from us to achieve these aims.
Then give us a call, and if we think it is worth discussing further, come and see us at our Taunton HQ, meet the team and tell us how you see yourself achieving your goals with our help. To be honest, there is no magic, no secret solution, no fast track to success - it takes hard work and relentless networking and marketing together with good old fashioned client care. It really is that simple!
If this is you, please do get in touch and tell others as the right people are always welcome at Clerksroom.
Are you also
- hard-working & committed?
- flexible & commercially minded?
- excellent at communicating?
Our experience tells us that if you have the qualities we set out above then we would love to work with you.
We are confident you will also love working with us because we will assist you to strategically develop your practice in line with your business plan and provide you with the professional environment and culture we believe will help you to thrive.
Benefits of Clerksroom:
- Ability to work from home
- Full range of services
- All Lexis Nexis digital library products
- Comprehensive IT support
- Experienced and motivated support team
- Variety of marketing opportunities
- Career progression
- Great culture
- Fees are 15% of fees received, paid monthly in arrears by Direct Debit
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion are key to everything we do.
Full details of our policies including:
- Fair Allocation of Work Policy
- Harassment Policy
- Parental and Extended Leave Policy
- Flexible Working and Learning Policy
- Reasonable Adjustments Policy
- Diversity Data Policy
are available to all members and pupils via our Intranet.
Full 12-month fully funded pupillages are advertised in the pupillage gateway.
If you would like to discuss any of the above in confidence please contact
- Kevin Morrow - Kevin.Morrow@clerksroom.com
- Russell Hobbs - Russell.Hobbs@clerksroom.com