A senior civil barrister (1976 call) and former solicitor, Barry Havenhand is a talented and committed advocate, advisor and mediator.
Areas of recent experience include:
- Commercial, business disputes & money claims
- Contract and tort disputes
- Costs - in particular defendant work, including attending detailed assessments nationally and regular appearances at the Senior Courts Costs Office (SCCO)
- Property disputes - including landlord & tenant (commercial and residential), boundary and rights of way disputes
- Building disputes
- Professional negligence
- Road traffic accidents (RTA - including credit hire) and Personal Injury
A combination of diplomacy and dogged persistence has won him substantial success in even the most difficult cases. With 35 years experience of advocacy, Barry is particularly well known for tackling some of the difficult cases that sometimes cross boundaries and areas of law. Barry is senior, experienced, easy to work with and completely flexible when it comes to fees or travel. Barry always tells it as it is in plain English so clients know where they are. Sometimes you just need an experienced advocate who is going to fight your corner using all their experience and willing to give it their best. That’s what you get with Barry Havenhand.
Whether it be a Fast Track, Multi-Track, Tribunal, Injunction, tricky Application or you simply need a senior advocate to fight your Small Claim for you, Barry is always happy to help if he’s available and takes a long term view about relationships when it comes to fees. If Barry is available, he’d prefer to be in court fighting your case or advising you how to get the best out of your case.
Barry is accredited to accept instructions on a public access basis.
Why choose Barry Havenhand as your advocate, advisor or mediator?
- Wide-ranging experience… From substantial commercial matters, to neighbour disputes over a few inches of land.
- Excellent track record… High percentage of settlements, even in seemingly impossible cases.
- Available across the UK… Lives in Somerset but happy to travel.
- Negotiable fees… Willing to discuss for individual cases.
- Fast Track, Multi Track or Tribunal… not easily fazed.
- Excellent feedback… Clients often go out of their way to thank Barry for the effort he puts into fighting for his clients or helping to achieve early settlement.
- Recognised expert… Has lectured, trained and published articles on many topics.
- Flexible roles… Experienced in working solo, jointly with solicitors, advising and representing parties.
- People….. A real 'people person'.
Qualifications and past experience:
After studying law at Oxford, Barry qualified as a barrister, later becoming a solicitor, and returned to the Bar in 2001. Barry has a wealth of diverse legal experience, including spells with the Government Legal Service, and a City firm. He practised as a solicitor in the West Country for several years, becoming Head of Litigation for his firm, and dealt with cases ranging from the local Magistrates’ Court, to Judicial Reviews in the High Court, and also to the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg.
Outside the office:
Barry is married, with two grown-up children, and fills his spare time with travel (particularly in Italy), visits to the theatre and choral singing. He also chairs an independent panel on school admission and exclusion appeals.
Click here to see Barry's mediator profile.